Everyone knows sleep is important, right? As an athlete, I am obsessed with sleep and it is true that getting a good night’s sleep is crucial to my performance. It is something I monitor closely and I can see small improvements in my ability, agility and ultimately my results when I am well rested. Even just small tweaks can make a difference.
JYSK, is a Scandinavian brand that sells everything for the home and they are self-declared sleep experts. I was delighted when they asked me to come on board as an ambassador back in 2018, not just, because I like their products but also because they are really committed to providing products that will improve your overall sleep quality – music to my ears.
Whilst visiting the JYSK store in Derby, I took the opportunity to speak to the JYSK sleep expert Stephen Tidmarsh to find out more about sleep in general and the products that were specifically suited to my needs.
Here is what I learned and the products I chose to help me have a perfect night’s sleep.
First of all, find out how much sleep you need. Listen to your body – for some people it is 7.5 hours of shut-eye, for some less, for others more. The amount of sleep you need may fluctuate depending on overall health, levels of exercise and stress levels too – so change your routine to allow for more sleep if you’re feeling groggy or tired.
Health also affects how much sleep we need as our bodies recuperate and regenerate cells when we enter the land of nod. If you’re ill for a short period or suffer from a chronic illness, you will need more sleep than normal because your body is working to renew its cells. Since, I am pushing my body hard in terms of exercise, my body needs the time during sleep to repair and renew its cells.
This stimulates your brain and your body. Take it even further by going for a run, if that is something that you enjoy, or try some gentle yoga. BeThis stimulates your brain and your body. Take it even further by going for a run, if that is something that you enjoy, or try some gentle yoga. Besides waking you up, this will leave you with an excellent feeling throughout your day.sides waking you up, this will leave you with an excellent feeling throughout your day.
If you feel groggy when waking up in the morning, draw the curtains and open the shades first thing. Light makes your brain realise that the day has in fact started, so it can send the right signals to your body. Read more about how light affects your sleep
To help me create the perfect night’s sleep I wanted to create a real sense of Hygge in my room (something the Danish owned JYSK are renowned for).
1. Lyngen memory foam pillow – this is ideal when I have a stiff neck or shoulders and I can easily bring it with me when I travel
2. Gold S45 mattress – I upgraded from a double to a King size mattress & bed. The extra space is lovely and feels so luxurious, like I’m in a gorgeous hotel.
3. White Pearl Duvet – this gorgeous anti-allergy duvet is filled with 90% white goose down. My allergies are kept at bay and it is super cosy at 13.5 TOG, I use this all year round.
4. I chose gorgeous baskets filled with throws and decorative cushions so I can meditate and relax in this space too
5. These potted plant plants help me feel connected to nature and are gorgeous too
6. Lastly, I got a supply of beautiful candles so I can up the ante on the Hygge in this room – just don’t forget to blow them out before you go to sleep.